Prioritizing Your Training
For the average lifter, that is you, we have to factor in time and stress restraints. So my program has to focus on developing the things that have the largest impact on the Snatch and Clean & Jerk.
Here is what we know:
1. Training the Snatch and Clean & Jerk has the largest impact on increasing your Snatch and CJ.
2. Movements closely related to Snatch and CJ have a large carry over to increasing your total. (snatch from the blocks).
3. Squats have a good carry over to increasing your total.
4. Pulls have a good carry over, less than squats though.
5. Corrective exercises and movements less specific to Snatch and CJ have the least amount of impact on your total. (ex. no hook no contact snatch, etc.)
So what does this all mean?
For me it means that I am going to spend a majority of my time programming you Snatch, CJ, Squats and Pulls. Corrective exercises are only given to athletes on an individual basis, if and when necessary.
For you it means that you should prioritize your time. If you have less time to train then start by lumping off #5 and then #4 and so on. A common mistake is to take out the lifts and just do “strength” work (squats and pulls). I say “strength” work because there is this idea that Snatch and CJ isn’t strength work. That’s incorrect.
Also keep in mind that something is always better than nothing. If you only have 30min to train, then pick a lift and train. It is 100% better than doing nothing. Don’t skip workouts because of time restraints, do what you can.
Now for why you came here! Check out BlueWave Athlete Kevin Wiseman hitting a PR Clean and Jerk of 190kg (418lbs) CLICK HERE TO WATCH THE VIDEO
If you are interested in joining my BlueWave Weightlifting Team then feel free to email me Chris@BlueWaveFitness.com
If you enjoy my posts you can help support me by checking out my link below!
Follow me on Instagram at @C_Lofland
Follow BlueWave on Instagram at @BlueWaveWeightlifting
If you have questions about anything feel free to email me at Chris@BlueWaveFitness.com